Summer to us is all about tomatoes, basil, ice cream, and all the various ways we can consume them in copious amounts. Today’s video is all about basil and a recipe we created for a special kind of pesto. It’s dairy-free and made with walnuts for extra omegas. Of course, you can’t make our special pesto without olive oil, and we used our favorite oil olive from Wonder Valley to add even more flavor. This recipe takes about 10 minutes to make, and you’ll get tons of bonus points from your dinner guests for making it homemade.
The best part of this special pesto recipe is that you don’t have to be exact. You can swap out the nuts and use whatever you have on hand!
Special Pesto Variations
- Add a handful of parsley to keep the pesto from turning brown
- Add an avocado to make it creamy
- If you can’t find fresh basil, substitute with spinach
- Swap the walnuts for soaked cashews to make it extra creamy
Basil Walnut Pesto
- 2 cups packed Basil Leaves (remove stems)
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 Pepper (plus more to taste)
Combine basil, walnuts, garlic, salt, and pepper in food processor. Pulse until combined. Continue mixing and slowly pour in olive oil until desired consistency is achieved (might be more or less than 1/3 cup). Mix with brown rice pasta. Additional toppings and additions include: cherry tomatoes, roasted broccoli or cauliflower, grated goat cheese, and toasted walnuts.
Video by Julie Florio